Wednesday 21 April 2010

Magazine Cover Research

Sight and Sound Magazine
Sight & Sound is a British monthly film magazine published by the British Film Institute (BFI). Sight & Sound was first published in 1932 and in 1934 management of the magazine was handed to the nascent BFI, which still publishes the magazine today. Sight & Sound was published quarterly for most of its history until the early 1990s but in 1991 it merged with another BFI publication, the Monthly Film Bulletin, and started to appear monthly.

Research
I had decided that I wanted to design my magazine cover for British magazine Sight and Sound and so needed to research into Sight and Sound's previous magazine covers. I originally looked at past covers on the internet, however couldn't find many that were suitable and communicate the genre of thriller that I was after.
These were the covers I found on the Internet.

Because of the lack of examples on the internet I decided to look at copies of the magazine in the college library. Their selection of the magazine provided and much more useful and more suitable range of covers for me to refer to. I scanned in a few of the covers that were most useful to me:



I used features and the codes and conventions from these magazine covers to help me design my own Sight and Sound magazine cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.